Thursday, August 23, 2007

Restaurant Manager

I'm a restaurant manager for Bob Evans. I started out as dish washer in the restaurant industry at the age of 15 and I have worked in the food business ever since. I love to cook I want to become a chef. Thats a achievable goal but a tough one because our industry is flooded with people of all walks of life going after the same goal. I went from washing dishes to cooking in no time, I loved it. The fast pace, the insanity and the never ending stream of orders flowing in with questions, how long on this , where is that, fix this , I said no cheese and we keep coming back for more. Everyday is a new experience in the reataurant industry loaded with a whole new aray of problems to be solved. As I but in the long hours and cook for different restaurants I decided I need to go to culinary school. I spent four years learning all the basics of cooking and baking as well as management. Yet with the degree behind me and some experience I find it very hard to get the positions I want. So here I am working for Bob Evans as a restaurant manager. I took the position only to gain management experience and I still find it difficult to land a sous chef position or even get so much as an interview. So to those of you expecting to go to culinary school and get a degree then walk in to that fifty thousand a year job or more it probably won't happen unless your lucky. You need the degree pluse a few years of experience to get your restuarant career going if you can handle the abuse we love to continue to endure.

No comments: